Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Can anyone confirm this 'fact'?

This is a potentially interesting cricket quiz fact. 'Potentially' because it has to be confirmed, I am not 100% sure. So, pls send in your comments.

Here goes: I guess the only cricketer to play a masters match (or a veterans match) before playing a normal match (that is, a regular international match) is Flavian Aponso, who played the 1996 World Cup for Netherlands. Before playing what was to be his first and final regular international series, he played a veterans' series for Lanka - his place of birth. In the early '80s he was banned from playing for Lanka, as he had gone on a rebel tour to South Africa.

Any thing wrong with this fact? Pls let me know!

7 comments:

Deepa said...

This confirms your fact. Nice one.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1994-95/OTHERS+ICC/MSTRS/SL-MSTRS_RSA-MSTRS_MSTRS_07MAR1995

Deepa said...

And this http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/24857.html

I don't know if an ICC trophy match constitutes a "normal international match", but atleast he made the ODI debut after the veterans match.

Sriram said...

Thanks ma'am!

But I got an error message when I tried to access these links.

Deepa said...

really, I can access them fine. But u can always look into the cricinfo player profiles for the second link and the matches archive 94-95 masters cup for the first one.

Looks like I am the only completely vetti person around;)

Sriram said...

thanks!

btw, all of us, i believe, are vetti but keep ourselves busy to hide this fact!

Anonymous said...

"btw, all of us, i believe, are vetti but keep ourselves busy to hide this fact!"

Sriram Srinivasan,

I guess you are a Kamal fan :)

--
Vijay

Sriram said...

Vijay!

Didn't know Kamal said that! Anyways, I like many of his films but guess that doesn't help me qualify as a fan!